About This Blog

August 25, 2011

Dined @ Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani

Today I dined at Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani with a colleague who is also a foodie and I persuaded her that we should do a lunchon together at this place since she also shares the same interest as mine (for biryani). Let me tell you, the craving for biryani in life is endless. I always had this feeling that eating biryani makes me feel good about this life that I live and I am born to eat this wonderful course of meal. (Too much feelings huh)

So I believed that Dindigul Thalappakatti is a very unique place to have biryani because its not the usual biryani that you get to eat here in Chennai. The biryani is made out of Seeraga Samba rice and not the basmati rice which is used elsewhere. I have also noticed that some Bangalorians use the same type of rice and I love this taste.


So we left office sharp at 12.55pm to reach the place early and to have some good time together. I really like the idea of having a visual representation of food on your table even before it arrives and the table had a good spread paper which looked so mouth-watering. We surfed through the menu card for 5 minutes and finally decided to attack the different dishes. I explained her the special delicacies that this place serves like karandi (its a deep fried egg which has chicken stuffing inside), kola urundai (its a keema type meat ball) and the mutton biryani which is sinfully tasty.

I decided to have mutton biryani and my colleague wanted to try kola mutton biryani. We ordered Dindigul Kozhi Roast which looked so authentic and we couldn't resist starring at it. So the order is placed and we waited. Whenever we looked around for our food we only noticed that others table gets served and we turned our heads back to look at each other once again :-(

So finally the food comes without making us wait for long and it smelled like heaven and looked so delicious. Here we began to attack the most awaited biryani that both of us craved for and enjoyed the meal. Both of us sank in the Dindigul taste and exchanged some general conversations that we have one more day to go for the weekend to come. (Yes we again wait for the weekends to come like school children)


We are almost done with our food and my colleague is still not out of that karandi dish which looks very yummy. She asked me if I wanted to try that too, and not that I have any objections and I said, "I don't mind". So we placed an order for deep fried egg with chicken karandi which took about 15 minutes. And guess what we have on our table finally? he served us just the deep fried egg. We asked him to replace with the one that we ordered and he realized it was his mistake and asked us to enjoy this as well. So this egg karandi was treated as a complimentary :-)

I have had biryani in many places in Chennai and never thought of writing about it. But Dindigul Thalappakatti made me to do so because its very authentic and I feel they serve niche food which is not available in other restaurants in Chennai. If you're in Chennai or if your planning to come down to Chennai sometime, don't forget to visit his heavenly place.

Photo Source: http://www.thalappakatti.com/

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Velu biryani.. now listen why dont we meet up next month for Velu Biryani and then u write a blog on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey benny, I have tried velu biryani as well and feel its OK. However Talapakatti wins my heart. Any day I'll fall for biryani and meeting over the table with an aromatic biryani is our deal now. In chennai for pongal.. we'll catch up with you :)

    ReplyDelete